The beauty of BSP

The beauty of BSP


Hey guys,

With my research being somewhat heavily developed around Romero's approach to design - more specifically when creating DOOM (1993), I have become increasingly developed around the construction of levels using BSP's as the primary tool. Although having experience in 3D modelling, there is also a lot to be concerned about when using that form of construction for usable game space, such as: Scale, World Appropriation, Construction Time, Texturing and UV mapping. All of which have a considered cost in the production pipeline, which is something that I simply cannot adhere to if I plan to create gameplay over assets.

Although this doesn't mean I cannot get creative with BSP's in order to make the world seem a little less blocky. An example of it being blocky, does reside in the majority of images that I have presented here, but I would like to think, that although predominantly BSP I have given the designs of the levels some justice, in trying to keep some sort of house style, as well as some bespoke pieces that I am proud of.



Here we have one of the earliest development pieces of this application within this semester, it is rather flat when the player is on ground level, but the idea of creating dynamic backgrounds was a little bit appealing here, as I was trying to define high points in the level but also have a level that could be appreciated from every aspect of the level. But similarly to my Arctic Base map, it did grow increasingly difficult to generate a base map before I started honing in on polish as there was simply too much to try and get done.



Now above, I would consider this a personal breakthrough point in my creation stages using BSP. Looking on how I used to use them, I would consider it clumsy and not performant, which reflects on my research where two key elements that I have highlighted as being important as the final product itself., this being performant and efficient throughout creation, similar to Romero's stance.

In addition to attempting to recreate a piece of  the Fallout 4 map (Weston Water Treatment Plant) - which is the central water processing vats, I also realised that in order to build into the floor - to build things similar to the pool on the left hand side of the bottom image - that I would actually have to have a BSP box as the base of my level, in order to bore into the environment and creation those necessary levels of elevation, where we can hide additional hazards and rewards for our users.


Here being the first test of using subtraction BSP's in attempt to create an underground base - another note here being that this method definitely assists us due to the engine already knowing to cull the space behind the volumes created, which in turn aids in performance.



As Romero did in the 2nd level of DOOM, I attempted to re-create an interesting offset for our user, by having a room with multiple exits, with the addition of having some visible secrets in order to lure our player, again similar to Romero. Although one problem I did encounter when using BSP, when I attempted to create transparent objects, as you see above, that although the engine culls the merged sides of the BSP's it will also creates voids of space between the BSP, because it is trying to cull it. My quick word around, make a BSP pipe, then using the order button make sure it is set to last then place it over, not 100% but it isn't as noticeable if left.


Now we are at a much more recent attempt, at creating a semi-realistic building, with a walkable space within it. The primary reason for this, as I said originally, was to keep away from being too blocky but by adding enough variation and elevation I was able to create a fairly bespoke looking BSP. That when it comes to building inside of it, all I have to do now is use appropriate subtractive BSP in order to create the rooms and hallways that I will need to create the gameplay that I desire. But more importantly, due to my recent pickup of Fallout 4 again, I realised the primary objective the game gives you is to venture the wasteland and find these landmarks, in order to facilitate quests and items appropriate to these locales created. A primary example of this can be found straight out of the Vault, in  the example below:

 


Where after your initial taste of combat and controls, that you receive your Pip-Boy, and find your way out, you are then immediately prompted to 'Go Home' and given a radar pin in order to follow. You are free to explore but with other various hidden markers on your radar you will always be prone to head in a direction to find a suggested locale and gain a little bit of experience upon your initial encounter. 


Although I am not yet convinced that I can accommodate a radar system with landmarks and other various markers, i.e. Enemies, Secrets, Objectives,instead I can attempt to create world that the user could consider interesting to explore, by having all these interesting but contained areas or buildings. One thing I am trying to consider is to try and make the user re-use and re-experience areas to see if that method will aid the users experience.


Another thing I have recently noticed, as I did consider the final building to explore to be the largest, that after adding another layer, I accidentally created a red skull, hopefully hinting that the main target resides there.

Comments