Game Concept: Second Pass

Game Concept: Second Pass




As an overview of my intentions for this semester I will provide a copy of my newest Learning Agreement below.

Learning Agreement:





With the second semester coming to a close, it would be best to reflect and determine my results from the experiments that I have created, and to conclude my research from what our end users want - as in the previous semester I created a set of questionnaires in order to determine what we could consider to be key mechanics that our users desire to see in games. 

Below you will find image results of the most influential to this project:






By doing this research I was able to define what a consumer could want due to the quantity of results present, although one error I did do, was accidentally spell collectable wrong so the data shown for that would actually be around 42% total; if then paired with the aspect of rewards - as a collectable could be a reward, it could be considered the highest possible requirement (around 95%) for users to play our games, with sound and objectives coming close behind; then rich story-line and progressive difficulty coming behind that; the only problem I see with these desires is trying to create a rich story-line, so in order to avoid it I will drive towards making objectives in relation to the environment in hope to create a feeling of story.

Along with the possible genre wanted and main drive, being the Role-Playing game and the want to explore/ collect, I decided on planning to adapt my previous project in order to accommodate these changes in order to see if the overall engagement of the game is  increased; either by increased playtime or by creating something that seems fun. My primary response to this was to create and adapt a collectable/ reward system in order to respond to the collectable needs, by creating a universal object that can be changed for the appropriate game-play - such as the need for currency (which could be used to purchase upgrades or barter with NPC's), experience boosting objects (that will be obtained by successful actions, such as defeating enemies or finding in secrets within the level) and player enhancement objects (such as health giving items or ammo, as I plan to create an FPS platform that will have entities present that will halter your progress by damaging the character; or by aiding the player appropriately).

To see the update changes made and with the addition of commentary, I will also provide a link to my You-Tube playlist below:



Although accommodating for the systems chosen didn't come without problems, due to having limited resources at that time. What I mean by this is that most game companies or even generic design companies (even down to independent practitioners similar to Claire Norcross, Mike Eden and Peter Peake - visiting lecturers), that they will have dedicated teams in order to produce appropriate assets that work within its setting but if a problem arises or they don't have the appropriate artist or designer they too will opt for outsourcing. Which is why my method now involves outsourcing in order to flesh out my designs faster - such as the enemies and weapons used in this current project, although I was required to setup how the data is then portrayed in my game: an example for the enemy is its entire system to recognise the player and attack either on sight or if provoked, but only if it is aggressive, and then cycle through the appropriate animations to show the player its progressive attack style; then appropriately damage the player and affect its visible UI Health bar so that the user is able to plan their actions in a dynamic fashion, which is similarly found in Dishonoured 2 (2016) and DOOM (1992).


After all, with my primary intention to somewhat abstain away from aesthetic over design, in order to establish some visual connection for the player to relate to, it was necessary to outsource; because there is only so much that as designers we can do with just stock assets. Although to work towards a style that could be manageable for my project, I have planned to aim for an design style similar to that of DOOM (1992), due to being heavily influenced by John Romero and his work methods; with the addition that due to it being considered a true FPS classic - the very same genre that I am also trying to hone in on.

With Romero's main design method in creating levels with just BSP's, due to the ability of being able to edit and replace them faster, I decided in order to be like Romero I to should aim towards significantly speeding up the block mapping process by adopting this method; considering if it was actual mesh based data it would take a considerable amount of time to refine in order to replace, by using third-party methods. This method is even highlighted by Epic Games on their website (Link Below) on their method in creating basic level designs using this technology:



With this method in mind, my initial offset was to create a base space made entirely from BSP in order to facilitate a space for my user to explore and interact with - that was clearly suggested in the questionnaires, yet as my project developed due to the size of the map, it soon became clear that if I further continued in this manner that I will have to create some sort of Objective & Map System (similar to Fallout 4) in order for the player to be able to manage their journey, or to simplify the maps into smaller levels similar to DOOM and its episodes; by doing this it also became much more accommodating for my Blueprint design, as I am able to assess its intentionality and affordability prior to creation (such as the creation of accessible doors and usable entities to assist in the exploration of the world i.e. ladders and the key card doors), a technique that I am trying to adopt due to my research into Steve Lee and his approach to Level Design, due to his background in working with First Person projects (Bulletstorm, Dishonoured 2, Bioshock: Infinite) -


Link here:

Where he explains when previously working for Arkane that it was taboo to not have appropriate asset placement, as it is essential that in order to assist engagement, the player has to have the instinct to know their path rather than having to investigate the environment for appropriate cues, where in my design I have opted to create a family of UI elements in order to relay information back to the user in order to show functionality (in the form of subtitles, post process effects to outline the object or by producing nametag UI in order to differentiate your actions between entities). Which reflects his time spent there due to his method in always designing in the form of affordability, a key example shown in this lecture in particular is about doors that have been designed with poor affordability (IMAGE 1) - as both sides, although needing different actions to successfully open the door, have been aesthetically designed the same, which if put in relation to outsourcing could cause these same issues if you attempt to accommodate your designs with found assets without first understanding your design, unlike in (IMAGE 2) both sides have been designed in order to accommodate its affordance and the user can easily identify the action needed prior to event.


IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2
In order for me to establish these connections for the player, without the need of currently out-sourcing, it was required of me to understand how I want the user to interact with my world. As mentioned earlier I planned to create a family of UI elements that I further developed in order for me to assess the functionality of my work, but also to create an aesthetic way in which the user will also be able to assess their gameplay in a similar manner to myself. These came in the manner of: Simple Menus, Subtitles, Stat & Score bars, as shown in both videos.

So with having to research methods and practices - from appropriate and visiting practitioners, I believe I have devised some of my own methods when it comes to creating an engaging platform with a First Person perspective in mind, additionally some methods can also be translated into other platforms - such as the need for menus, pickups or subtitles. Although it goes without saying that I have most certainly adopted some techniques from those that have been researched - which I have also planned out in the Learning Agreement above - and although with some not coming from my own practice, it really does show that from undergoing this process of researching professional practitioners that it most certainly broadens your horizons, either practically or fundamentally.


Play through & Commentary:


With my final play through video at the top, it was also raised to reflect and comment upon our workflows and ideas in order to assess our designs practicality and overall application of the work. Which by viewing the video here you will gain further insight into my working process.

The initial premise for continuing my project from the Semester 1, primarily came about due to the lack of, what I would consider to be, game feel. So in order for me to fully assess the quality of feedback between the platform and the user, I thought it best to design these systems in order to have that intermediary connection between user and platform - these being the menus and UI elements. In addition to the intermediary systems, I also decided to hone in on the idea of "damage" to act as the stopping force behind your progress; meaning that in order to continue, you, others or NPC's will have to take damage.

As for my opinion on my overall progress of this semester, I am fairly pleased with my current process in designing and developing my rough concepts into working systems that both aid my self and the player; in addition the fact that some of my goals/ intentions that I had mentioned in my First Pass (Link below) have also been met, in order to facilitate the gameplay I required.


I believe that for the final semester, that with having built a selection of systems that I do believe with a little extra tinkering could become universal for another project, or due to my chat with Pete Bottomley, who insisted that creating your own technologies make your platform not also versatile to you, but more importantly makes you a more versatile designer, as you can work upon your systems to create the best possible options (similar to my collectable system, where most stem from the same parent so that I can change edit it in viewport rather than diving into its construction. Yet in order for me to attain my goal for creating a FPS game, that it could again be possible that I further continue on top of this pre-existing work in order to attain my goal, due to the previous complications constructing some of the various elements (damage and interact interfaces, trace calling on appropriate objects; creating and animating an actual character to use as a First Person).

One consideration that I have come to terms with, is that I should focus some time into learning appropriate level streaming, in order to avoid that void hiccup between maps, also due to noticing that when it transitions from map to map currently that it does significantly affect the frame-rate, which is certainly not performant and not following Romero's process.

Although the one key concept that I have enjoyed making was the presence of automation between my entities, where by approaching it and it responding appropriately, increased game pace due to not always requiring the players input in order to function - such as the automated doors or pickups on overlap, even down to the UI elements in order to relay information back to the player.

In addition to the level development by using BSP's - to which I believe I have become fairly seasoned in using - I have become a lot more aware that, if in the next semester that I wish to pursue a DOOM like style that, I maybe required to do some additional 3D modelling in order to flesh out the world with appropriate content, or take their concepts and then manipulate them into my current system (similar to the Ammo bag).

As another possible idea for my next semester, with the current technologies that I have currently made, that instead of making my own levels, I will base it on the DOOM maps in order to hasten my level designing, but unlike the old maps I will try my best to make the aesthetic of the map a little more inviting due to having the ability to use a newer engine. This will also require me to redo the main menu system, to a simpler button menu to select level difficulty and the map you wish to play. The problems I would have if to attempt to remake the classic are: finding animated assets for the enemies, a saving system for the characters stats and if I choose to make it multiplayer, it seems it would be better to do it from fresh in order for network players to experience the same functionality as player 1 (another topic I have not yet attempted).

Comments