Update: Loading | Main Menu | Level Select - User Interface

Update: Loading | Main Menu | Level Select - User Interface



Hey Guys,

So after becoming more confident in my level building using BSP, I decided to start building what I would consider my intro screen, that will be essentially checking for some user engagement prior to them committing to our actual game. As I have previously written, I do consider the Intro Screen a staple in almost any game and platform, so I took it upon myself to try and create a simple layout menu, so it can be easily navigated by any user (really important!!!), but in addition I have also been creating controller friendly menus, so that if I was to port this project, it would already have native controls for both console and PC.

One key thing I have added, is the ability to wrap around from screen to screen and that it only uses one instance of the menu, so that we can avoid bugs as much as possible.

Initially, I did already have a crude loading screen, but the loading actors would never change and I couldn't go back from the main screen, as I originally just had the quit game button literally quit the game. Now after a bit of research, primarily PS4, I came to find that no game upon pressing quit would instantly shut down the project, instead it would wrap back to a previous screen, so I intentionally did the same and made my actors swap out in order to always give my user maximum data if they were to stay in that initial screen; unlike Dark Souls, where it doesn't request input after load but instead will always load you in a neutral zone, which you can only be attacked in if you are 'Embered Up'.



From my Loading screen and Main Menu, I also added the new function to choose your level, which has also been given a fairly nice looking UI, which again suppose controllers. I have also purposefully locked the other present level, as I currently plan to have a singular polished level, but I did need some preliminary setup for the player to know what their getting into, hence the requirement for the screen.

I have also added some data to them, but as of yet as I haven't implemented a save system and item collection system, it is just currently for aesthetic, unless I remove the "#/" so that it just states the maximum in the level giving the player an idea of what they could potentially get.

By going about it in this manner, rather than my initial Level Select Level, it has drastically improved the transition from one map to another so I am clearly designing in the right direction.

Comments